Friday, March 29, 2019

Philosophy of Technology


In my last post (which could save your life), I briefly touched on the philosophy of technology.

I am fond of using the dictionary to map out an approach to complex issues. I am aware that there can be some issues with this, and don't care much.

philosophy, a search for a general understanding of values and reality by chiefly speculative rather than observational means

technology, the practical application of knowledge

Searching for a short definition of philosophy is like eating one third of one potato chip.

So when I say the 'philosophy of technology," I am not looking for technology to give me values. This way lies madness. (Several thousand words of explanation cheerfully skipped; I may come back later.)

I am looking to instead apply values - specifically, moral values - to technology.

moral, of or relating to principles of right and wrong in behavior

So when I say "Appropriate Technology," I am putting a value judgment on the technology discussed. This is good stuff.

When I apply the modifier "[In]" as in "Inappropriate Technology," I am putting a similar value judgment on the technology, but backwards. This is dangerous stuff, and in my personal and biased opinion, is more dangerous than beneficial.

I enjoy the take that the Amish have on this issue. They use a lot of technology ... but they reject a lot of it too.

Here's another YouTube video to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg "Amish Paradise"

If you get a minute, think about it.

No comments: