Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Appropriate Technology: VOIP Softphones

I am just getting into running VOIP clients on Android smartphones.

I have used Serval Mesh in peer to peer applications, but this is a glorified walkie talkie app.

Google Voice Dialer is more powerful with its integration directly to Google Voice.

However, what I now need is a decent SIP client to bring my own phone numbers and use them over Wi-Fi networks.

I will keep experimenting and bring back what I find.

Meanwhile, I can safely say that this is not yet a "this just works" technology.  You can't download it, configure it and just be done ... there are many small pitfalls and finicky settings.  That makes it unreliable for important uses.  

Not that making a phone call could ever be that important.



No comments: